Dryer Fires How They Happen We Recommend You Watch First
Dryer fires happen, there are over 15,000 each year in North America. In Ontario we do not hear them mentioned very often but ask most people and they know someone who has had a dryer fire!
Following 2 recent dryer fires in Hamilton, Ontario we put together this video that shows how and why dryer fires happen.
The dryer is a machine that heats up the dryer passing hot air over the clothes, this then passes through the lint trap which only captures 30% of the lint thats created. The remaining 70% of lint and damp air is vented through the dryer vent to the outside. Most people think the lint trap catches it all, this is wrong its only a small amount. Over time the 4″ dryer vent or duct as some call it, gets lint build up that starts to restrict the dryer vent thus slowing down the dryer.
Dryer Taking Longer to Dry – Lint Build up Can Cause a Dryer Fire
Dryers take longer to dry not because they are old, but because the dryer vent is restricting the air flow. The lint is still being produced and starts to settle inside the dryer cabinet where the element is located.All it takes if for one piece of lint to start smoldering, then flare up and carry through to the wrong hose and theres a dryer fire. With the right hose the aim is that lint would burn out before the transition hose catches alight.
Dryer Warning Label to Prevent Dryer Fires Use the Right Hose
Most dryers have a warning label stating not to use thin foil or plastic hose, but to use metal. The thin foil slinky hose is a plastic laminate with thin foil. If ever a dryer occurred and the insurance company wanted a reason not to pay out they have a reason right there – wrong hose was installed that adds fuel to a fire if one happened.
It all starts at the termination point – outside when the louvers don’t open and close properly this restricts the lint and air from escaping and backs up all the way through to the dryer. Keep the flaps clean as part of regular maintenance. This does not mean you still should not clean the whole dryer vent out, or get the inside of the dryer cleaned out.
How Dryer Fires Happen Photos
Dryer Vent Cleaning & Full Dryer Cleaning
Most of us did not read the dryer manual that came with the dryer, or the dryer was in the house when we bought it. By carrying out the full dryer vent cleaning and dryer cleaning you get full peace of mind knowing that all lint is removed from inside the dryer and the dryer vent. When choosing a Dryer vent cleaning company they should go to the end termination point to measure the air flow and remove the flaps or screen that is there.Dryer vent cleaning most of the time is not straight forward, there are issues that need to be addressed to prevent the problem you are having from happening again. We at Dryer Vent Cleaner carry everything to put right any issues and make sure your dryer is not only up to code, but running as efficiently as it possibly can.
Dryer & Dryer Vent Inspection Available
If you have any concerns about the safety of your dryer & dryer vent, we are more than happy to help. Call us today on 905 966 0838